So now is a great time to dig out the summer clothes and organise a nice little summer capsule wardrobe !
- Step 1. Empty your wardrobe of anything you know you will not wear untill next winter We will be heading towards making a wardrobe which is both winter and summer compatible but I shall be doing a seperate post on that at a later date . So for now empty everything on your bed . Now is a good time to assess what hasn’t been worn , what was uncomfortable , what didn’t make you feel a million dollars , or anything you don’t love . If it fits any of those catagories donate immediately !
- Step 2 . Wash but don’t iron as you’ll end up doing it again next winter ! Make sure to put it all away in storage.
- Step 3. Get out all summer clothes . Go though each item . Do you love it ? Does it fit ? Does it make you feel fabulous? If not donate it !
If you’re struggling with letting go of any items you may like to read this post
- How I Started Living With Less.
- How To Declutter When You’ve Not Got The Motivation, how to motivate yourself in 10 easy steps
- Step 4 wash and put everything back in your wardrobe .
You should now have heaps of space to view your minimal wardrobe and should be able to create many more outfits with the clothes you have kept .
- Step 5 repeat steps 1-3 with coats , boots and shoes !
- Step 6 . Assess the gaps in your wardrobe, decide the key items which would complete your outfits . Write them down and keep in your purse so you buy things you need rather than impulse bargains next time you shop
- Step 7 decide on 3 basic colours to have as your base colours and add one splash of colour .
My basic colours are:
And my splash of colour is bright red.
Only shop within your chosen four colours !
Stick to this rule when shopping for clothes and you will find shopping so much simpler.
My recommended reading on the subject of minimal wardrobes are http://www.unfancy.com and http://www.theminimalists.com for amazing inspiration and advice on how to live with less items in your closet!
Don’t miss out on our free checklists and printables! To gain access to our FREE printables library leave your details here !