We all have clothes in our wardrobes we have never worn, you know the ones …
They tend to fall into the following categories:
- The …..when You’ve lost weight purchase
- The….. couldn’t resist bargain
- The….. stuff people have given you
- The…… brightly coloured fun item
- The ……fur item
- The…… too short skirt
- The….. too long jeans
- The…… itchy jumper
- The….. impulse purchase
- The….. unworn designer label
- The….. worn once party outfit
- The….. wedding attire
How many are hanging in your wardrobe right now ? If you’re anything like me before I simplified , the answer is all of them and more !
Have you ever asked yourself why they are still there ? Do the following excuses pop up every time you try to have a clear out ?
- It cost me a fortune !
- I’m going to diet!
- My sister gave me this !
- I’m waiting for the right occasion to wear it !
- I’ve got nothing to wear it with!
- I’ve had it since I was a teenager!
- I’ll definitely wear it again!
If any of these sound familiar to you they could be stopping you from having the minimal wardrobe you’ve always dreamed of.
Every time we open our wardrobe doors these items silently make us feel guilty.
So let me give you an answer to those silent excuses you use for hanging onto stuff you never wear.
- It did cost you nearly a months wages and yes that makes you feel seriously guilty but the money has been spent now and the item is making you feel crappy and guilty every time you see it.
- Just because you paid a fortune for it doesn’t mean that its valuable to you , forget the designer label , if it had only cost £10 would still keep it ?
It’s great to hear that you’re going to lose weight but let me tell you , when you get down to your ideal weight the first thing you’ll probably do is treat yourself to some gorgeous new outfits!
- Your sister/mum/daughter gave it to you ? Guess what , they didn’t wear it either!
- If you are waiting for the right occasion the chances are you’ll buy a more fashionable outfit to wear than one you wore to your sister’s wedding in 1992!
- If you loved it you’d have found something to wear with it in your already bulging wardrobe by now!
- You’ve had it since you were a teenager ? Well , you’re now 40 ! (Insert age )
You wont wear it again!
So you made a mistake , you bought an itchy jumper, long trousers , hideous floral dress, brown woolly tights. So you put on weight .. Who hasn’t ?
It’s no big deal !
I’m not saying you should get rid of stuff you love , but just the stuff that makes you feel bad , the stuff you make excuses for !
The organising guru Marie Kondo in her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever” has a theory that when purchasing an item we get the thrill of the purchase which dissolves almost immediately when we walk out of the shop, she believes that the item you have purchased has done its job , it made you feel good at the time, therefore it has served it purpose and it’s time to let it go.
I found this advice invaluable in giving myself permission to get those items out of my house without feeling guilty especially all those designer items with the price tag still attached .
It’s amazing how differently I shop now too, I’m a lot more mindful about how much I’ve discarded , that I now see each purchase as a future charity shop donation so it makes me so much more mindful of what I am buying.
I steer clear of bargains and cheaper brands as I released that these made up approximately 95% of the clothes I never wore and ended up in the donation pile .
If you enjoyed reading this post you may like
To receive our FREE printables and much MORE! Leave your info below and start ORGANISING TODAY !