How to stop buying more stuff
Whilst sitting in the doctors waiting room yesterday I picked up a glossy magazine and the headlines screamed out…….
- “The must have hand bag! “
- “Why I can’t live without velvet! “
- “Life changing eyeshadow pallet!”
This got me thinking , why is it a “must have handbag ?”
So let’s break it down , it’s literally just a handbag that someone has decided you must have!
- If you want a handbag choose one that you like, not because someone in a marketing office has told you it’s a must have .
- You have your own style and don’t need a “must have” hand bag to validate that .
- The “why I can’t live without velvet” … person has a serious issue, I urge them to try to live without velvet , I’m pretty sure that they’ll survive!
- As for the “life changing eyeshadow pallet ” in my opinion , becoming a parent, losing your job, moving abroad are “life changing ” events an eyeshadow pallet is not life changing in most cases!
- The headline which really caught my attention for all the wrong reasons was
“the lipstick to make you beautiful” , as if any one product could make anyone person beautiful .
I agree with Audrey Hepburn who said that “the most beautiful thing anyone can put on their face is a smile “.
Gratitude , kindness empathy and humility make a person beautiful , these are qualities which shine from within , these are the lessons we should be teaching our children .
So how do we stop buying more stuff?
What to do right now to see your money grow!
- Stop falling for the constant consumerism mumbo jumbo that advertisers are constantly bombarding us with, read between the lines!
- Bear in mind we don’t need anything other than the basics to keep us alive!
- Stop buying “stuff” which will end up in the charity shop in six months time .
- Start instead to save your money.
- Start a small emergency fund to cover any repairs or breakages.
- Pay off your debts.
- Never spend more than you earn.
- Get rid of the credit cards.
- Follow the principle that ” a penny saved is a penny earned”
Try this for a month and you’ll be surprised exactly how different things can be by wanting less. After a short time you will have more financial freedom to do the things you really love and to create memories.
If you enjoyed this post you may like
- How to declutter When Your Partner Isn’t On Board ~ Simple tips to cut through the clutter!
- How I Started Living With Less.
For FREE PRINTABLES , UPDATES and MORE! Leave your info in the box below and start getting organised TODAY !